2023 WAEC May/June Results Statistics, Over 79% Pass


  • The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has unveiled the results for the 2023 WASSCE. Of the 1,613,733 candidates, 91.5% have results fully released, while 8.5% await further processing. A pass rate of 84.38% was recorded, with 79.81% passing in key subjects. Results of 16.29% of candidates are withheld due to examination malpractice.

WAEC May/June Results Statistics with Over 79% Pass

The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has disclosed the release of the results for the much-anticipated 2023 West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE). The announcement made on Monday in Lagos has spurred conversations and excitement amongst students, parents, and educators.

📣 Announcement WAEC has released 2023 WASSCE results.
📍 Location Results announced in Lagos by Patrick Areghan.
📊 Processed Results 91.5% (1,476,565 candidates) results fully processed and released.
❌ Pending Results 8.5% (137,168 candidates) awaiting further processing.
⏳ Resolution Plan Speedy resolution for pending results in the next couple of days.
✅ Pass Rate 84.38% (1,361,608 candidates) passed in five subjects or more.
📚 Key Subjects 79.81% (1,287,920 candidates) passed in five subjects including English & Maths.
⚠️ Withheld Results 16.29% (262,803 candidates) results held due to examination malpractice.

Overview of the Results

Patrick Areghan, WAEC’s Head of Nigeria’s Office, meticulously provided an overview of the results. Out of the total of 1,613,733 candidates that took part in the examination, 1,476,565 candidates, a substantial 91.5%, have had their results fully processed and released.

However, there was a portion, 137,168 candidates or 8.5%, for whom a few of their subjects are still being processed. The reasons for this delay were attributed to various shortcomings, including incomplete CASS upload, disobedience of rubrics, and non-challant attitudes associated with both the schools and candidates concerned.

The Promise of Resolution

Notwithstanding these delays, the WAEC boss was quick to assure that concerted efforts are underway to complete the resolution process. He vowed to ensure that all the affected candidates would have their results fully processed and released within the next few days.

Improvement in Pass Rate

The 2023 examination cycle marked an uptick in the success rate. A remarkable 1,361,608 candidates, which translates to 84.38%, obtained credit and above in a minimum of five subjects with or without the English Language or Mathematics. Furthermore, candidates numbering 1,287,920, or 79.81% of the total candidates, also achieved credits and above in a minimum of five subjects, including English Language and Mathematics.

A Reduction in Malpractice

On the issue of examination malpractice, WAEC hinted that the results of 262,803 candidates, or 16.29% of the total candidates, are being withheld. This figure is significant but shows a decrease of 6.54% compared to the 22.83% recorded in the WASSCE for School Candidates in 2022.


The release of the 2023 WASSCE results is not just about numbers but a reflection of the hard work, dedication, and collaboration of students, teachers, and the examination body. The increase in the pass rate and decrease in malpractice sends a positive message for the future of education in West Africa.

Candidates are encouraged to consult their respective schools or the WAEC official website to retrieve their individual results. Meanwhile, those affected by the delay are assured that the matter is receiving urgent attention.

The improvement in the overall performance signifies a promising trend, shedding light on the dedication and perseverance of the education system in West Africa. It’s a step forward, instilling hope and confidence in the students, educators, and the entire region.

Leave a Comment